Helping You Achieve the Freedoms of Time, Money and Peace of Mind
The new way to pay TAX
May 28th, 2020
Michelle Thompson, CA, Head of Tax & Compliance
Paying by cash or EFTPOS at Westpac
When you make payments at a Westpac branch or Smart ATM, you now need to have a barcode to ensure the payment goes to the right place.
Barcodes are usually printed on Inland Revenue returns, statements or letters.
Barcodes can also be generated on the IRD’s website, which can be printed, or shown on a mobile device.
To generate a barcode go to ird.govt.nz/barcode
Westpac Opening hours
To ensure the safety of their staff and customers, Westpac branches will continue to have reduced opening hours during Alert Level 2. As a result, you may be interested in alternative ways to pay.
Other payment options
Here’s a summary of other payment options:
- myIR: Direct debit and card payments can be made securely through myIR online services.
- Online banking: You could make payments using online banking.
- Credit or debit card via our website: Credit or debit cards can be used to make online payments. Go to the IRD’s website and search for “Make a payment” and select “Pay using credit or debit card”.
- Self-service phone line: Credit or debit cards can also be used to make payments via the IRD’s self-service phoneline 24/7.
- Automatic payments: Online or in-branch payments are not for everyone, so automatic payments might be better. It allows for two signatories, and when completed correctly, you’ll see an instruction to make a regular series of payments, such as debt or arrears. Payment processing times can vary, so check with the bank. For instructions, and to download the form, visit the IRD’s website and search for IR586.
Find out more at ird.govt.nz/payelectronically
Please note that the IRD is also writing to those who pay tax at Westpac to remind them about these changes.
Michelle Thompson, CA
Head of Tax & Compliance